Get over anxiety - You are not your thoughts!

"Feeling anxiety is not the same as awareness of it. When you merely feel anxious, you are identified with it. If you close your eyes and feel a round object with your fingers, you may worry that it is a bomb. Open your eyes and see it is a harmless ball. Likewise, as we begin to awaken to see things as they really are, our pains disappear."
-Vernon Howard, The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power, 1967


Remember that you are the observer of your thoughts, this means that you are not your thoughts itself. Thougts are often a memory from the past, which are socially conditioned. They just shoot through your head, sometimes you cannot control that. KNOW that you are not your thoughts!
These negative anxious thoughts keep running through your head often because you're trying to think what bad things can happen. These thoughts can make you feel anxious. More importantly these thoughts are not real. Remember the last time you were anxious, because a bad/nagative thought ran through your head, and it came true. I'll bet that you have a hard time remembering it. It's like you'll have to give a speech tomorrow, but your'e afraid to fail in front of everybody. If you prepared yourself for this speech you're not going to fail, you did it before.
So it's the same only with a crowd, but the thoughts running through your head will make you think it's a different situation, while it's not. So only think in the presence, not in the future. A situation is just a situation!

This always calms me down, because I then know a situation is what it is. You cannot change that, and making thoughts about it in your head will also not change the situation for what it is.

If you start feeling anxious about the situation, know that you cannot control a feeling, just accept the fact that it is there and say to yourself: this is just a feeling (like feeling nervous), a chemical reaction of your body, you cannot control. Say: This is not me, this is just a chemical reaction inside my body I cannot control. This will take the power of the emotion away. If you do this every time you will get over anxiety, because your body will know it does not help to feel anxious!

I hope you these tips will help you to get over anxiety as good as they helped me to get me over anxiety! 2010-07-29 11:01

3 replies:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much I feel much better after reading this god bless you you would always be in my prayers

Admin said...

Glad I could help!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awsome read. Thank you for typing this up for everybody. :) I have suffured from anxiety for some years now because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It runs through my head over and over all the time. Especially right before drifting off to sleep but the advive you gave about thinking the emotion is just a feeling and isn't real really helps :) Thank you once again :)

Post a Comment